Jawarsi Upma or Sabudana Kichadi is generally made during Ekadesi and other fasting days as this is one of the dish that is allowed to be eaten by people who cannot fast completely due to any reason. There are many ways this kichadi is prepared but this is my mother's version of the recipe and we all love it.
- 1 cup Jawarsi (Sago)
- 1/4 cup Peanut powder (Roast the peanuts and make a coarse powder)
- 1 small-med Potato (cut into cubes)
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Urad dal
- 1/4 tsp Channa dal
- 2 tsp Oil
- 2 Green Chillies
- 1/2 tsp Ginger grated
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp Salt (Adjust to taste)
- Few springs of Curry leaves and Cilantro to garnish
- Wash the Jawarsi and soak it overnight with enough water. (If you forget to soak it the day before, soak it for atleast 3-4 hours.) Drain the jawarsi in a colander when you are ready to make.
- Heat oil in a big kadai/pan and add the mustard and cumin seeds. When they crackle, add the urad dal and channa dal. When they turn slightly brown add the green chillies, ginger and curry leaves
- Add the cubed potatoes and fry it for a few minutes till it is cooked.
- Add the Jawarsi and salt and stir well on low flame till the Jawarsi gets cooked (They will become transparent when cooked.)
- Add the peanut powder and mix well for a few minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.